You know the drill. Fall is coming, which means Christmas cards are just around the corner. And, while we all want amazing pictures, who has the $$$ to spend on a fancy photographer? We have barbie cars to buy and in-laws to impress!
So, before you go and spend your hard earned dollars on a photographer, here are 5 reasons why you should probably just save your money
1. WE ALL OWN CAMERAS // We live in an era where everyone carries a camera on them at all times. Cell phone cameras have come a loooooong way. I mean REALLY, it’s just a matter of clicking a button. No big deal. Save your money, buy a fancy phone and go to town!
2. YOUR SISTERS, FRIENDS, BROTHERS, COUSIN IS A PHOTOGRAPHER // Chances are, you know someone who just bought a fancy camera. No, NOT a cell phone, but a REAL FANCY camera. And chances are also pretty good these days that at least one of the people you know has one of these fancy cameras AND is offering to take your pictures for FREE. I mean, REALLY. You can’t beat free. Not ever. And let’s be real, a family on a tree in any form is JUST a family on a tree. NO ONE will notice the difference.
3. UNIQUE IDEAS // One of the BIGGEST problems when hiring a professional photographer is they tend to get all artsy and dramatic about their ideas. HELLO>>> Don’t they understand the reason Pinterest is so popular?!! I mean REALLY. People love to copy other people. Why would we want our beach pictures in anything but white tops and blue jeans? Don’t they understand that this is a HUGE trend. Since the 90′s people have been doing this. Stop trying to rock the boat and take our money in the process! If you hire a friend, they are more likely to do whatever you ask them and you can take charge of your session. What would your friends think of you if your Christmas card showed up and yours were the ONLY ones that looked different?!! No thanks.
4. DREAM KILLERS // Professional photographers are total rule followers (can you say LAME?), no fun at all. I asked mine to take pictures on the railroad tracks and she said it was “illegal”. Then I asked her if she would takes us to this old barn I see all the time and she said it was “trespassing”. WHATEV. I see people do it all the time. And so what if we get caught? Like getting a fine or having the cops called is that big of a deal. I would say it ADDS to the overall experience. Don’t let a professional talk you into driving out to a private estate. They are just doing that so they can charge you more money. It’s a total scam!
5. THAT CD IS GOING TO LOOK AMAZING ON YOUR WALL // When you go onto a professional photographers website chances are they won’t have their prices up AND when you contact them to specifically ask them “how much 4 a CD?” They will tell you they don’t sell CD’s. I mean REALLY. Who doesn’t sell CD’s anymore? I’ve had several try to tell me that in the next few years CD’s will be obsolete. Yeah right!!! CD’s are here to stay. Another scam to get you to spend more by purchasing inflated prints & fancy canvases. We’re on to your scam professionals!! I can print them myself. I mean one day I will. The cd’s from the last 5 years are all sitting in a pile in my desk drawer, but I’m waiting so I can print them at the same time. I’m totally going to print them…one day.
So, in a few short weeks, when school starts back up and you realize WE NEED CHRISTMAS CARDS…Hire your sisters brothers cousins uncle. He’s sure to do a bang up job